Parkdale (Montreal) Style Bagels
No they did not invent another bagel style. There are only 2 (Montreal and New York) but since I made it in Parkdale, I've named it so! If you've had freshly baked bagels before, it's tough to go back to the standard grocery store bagged bagels. And you shouldn't have to when making your own bagels at home is this easy!
It takes about 3 hours and you only need Flour, Yeast, Water, Honey and a bit of Sugar and Salt. Crazy right? Let me teach you how to make your own bagels at home. Let's go!
1 cup and 3 tbsp of Warm Water
1 tsp Granulated sugar
2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
3 cups of AP Flour
1 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup + 1/3 cup for the bath
*Your topping of choice
1. Bloom the yeast by combining warm water, granulated sugar and dry yeast in a bowl. Stir and let it rest for 5 minutes or until frothy on top.
2. When the yeast is frothy, add the honey, flour, and salt and mix with your dough hook if you're using an electric mixer. If doing this manually, work the mixture with your hands until you form a dough.
3. Turn out our dough onto a clean surface and knead for 5 minutes (less if you used a mixer). Your dough is ready when it is smooth and springs back when you poke it. Transfer dough into an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap or kitchen towel. Place somewhere warm and let it rise for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
4. When dough has doubled, dived your dough into 10 portions. Lightly roll each portion into a 6 inch strand. Wrap the strand around your hand so that it connects and forms the bagel shape. Connect the ends to each other by rolling palm down on your surface until it blends into one and completes the bagel circle.
5. Place your bagels on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. You will need two. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it proof a second time for about 20-30 minutes.
6. As your bagels are rising, prep your water bath. Boil about 3 inches of water mixed with 1/3 cup of honey or maple syrup. Preheat your oven to 475 degrees Farenheit.
7. Once your bagels have proofed, you're ready to do a water bath! Drop 2-3 bagels into the pot of boiling honey water about 1 minute per side. Transfer back to the lined cookie sheet. Make sure they are not touching each other. Sprinkle toppings as you like.
8. Bake your bagels for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown in colour and springs back when poked.
9. Let the bagels completely cool before eating. Enjoy!!