Soft Pretzels (Sweet or Savoury versions)
Soft Pretzels are one of my favourite childhood snacks. It's always associated with a fun outdoor activity, whether watching outdoor baseball or walking around a state fair - I always go for a warm salty Pretzel + nacho cheese to dip it in!. My mouth is watering already.
Since we can't enjoy a lot of the usual outdoor events this summer, making these pretzels at home will hopefully bring your tastebuds back to the good ole' times! This recipe is very easy to follow and will make either sweet or savoury pretzels!
For the Dough:
2 1/2 tsp Yeast
1 cup Milk
2+3 tbsp melted Butter
3 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 1/2 cups of AP Flour
1 tsp Salt
Topping of Choice (Cinnamon Sugar, Coarse Salt, or Sesame Seeds)
For the Water Bath:
4-5 cups of Water
1/4 cup Salt (Omit salt if making sweet pretzels)
1/4 cup Baking Soda
Make the Dough:
- Bloom the yeast by mixing warm milk, 1 tsp of the sugar, and yeast. Set aside for 5-10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add the flour, the rest of the sugar, 2 tbsp melted butter, and salt to the yeast mixture. Mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes or until surface is smooth and no longer sticky.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let this rest for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece to a rope about 30 inches long. Twist into a pretzel shape and place pretzels on a parchment paper lined sheet. Let this proof for 20 minutes.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
- In a deep pan, simmer the water, baking soda, and salt (if making savoury pretzels). Keep it warm until pretzels are braided and ready to dip.
- Dip each pretzel into the water. Let excess water drip and return pretzels to the baking sheet. Brush pretzels with remaining melted butter and sprinkle savoury topping before baking. *If making sweet pretzels, bake the pretzels first, brush with melted butter after baking and spring with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake pretzels for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.